RE: Re: Magic in Glorantha/Moral Conduct

From: Bruce Ferrie <bruceferrie_at_...>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 15:42:14 -0000

On Friday, February 06, 2004 1:53 PM, Ian Cooper wrote:

> Magic is sufficently common in Glorantha that its usage resembles
> any other tool.

Yeah, but I think it could be seen as excessive in certain circumstances. Your boss might equally be wondering why you've gone to all the trouble of drawing up a Powerpoint presentation when a quick diagram on the back of a cigarette packet might have sufficed.

I liked the earlier analogy about trade magic being like bringing a pack of lawyers along to a business meeting. They're handy, and perfectly "normal" but they might be seen as excessive and a bit aggressive, depending on with whom and about what you're negotiating.

As for someone sparring in combat or whatever, my feeling is that a powerful devotee of a war cult or whatever who pulls out all the stops with his magic in a "friendly"/training fight might be frowned upon. Not for the use of magic as such, but just for pulling out all the stops when it's not strictly necessary. Much as, say, a professional tennis player playing in a pro-amateur tournament would be expected to go a little easier than if it were the Wimbledon final.

Regards,

Bruce