Re: Confusion over Zola Fel...

From: Viktor Haag <vhaag_at_...>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 11:19:48 -0500

First off -- should this thread get moved over to the rules list? I'm willing, but I think this discussion is still germaine to "new players of the game"...

Jeff writes:
> Viktor Haag wrote:
> > Peter Metcalfe writes:
> > > Why don't they just do mixed worship?
> >
> > OK; that would make it a "common religion" practice, then,
> > right?
>
> No, Mixed worship is basically communities of animist, theist
> and wizardly worshippers and appeasing/worshipping entities
> other than their type communally. Most of the communities
> presented so far have been concentrated types whereas mixed
> worship is, apparently, more the norm.

This seems to be exactly what's described on page 104 of HQ under the section 'Common Religions'.

I have to tell you guys, this is one cool game, but the descriptions of how people worship in the main rulebook is pretty opaque in spots to newbies: common religion, mixed worship, specialization, concentration, etc, etc, etc...

I think I have a bit of a grasp on it, but that's thanks to reading, re-reading, and reading posts to the list. This is, in my opinion, one of the hardest aspects of the game for new players to get their heads around.

> I can say its harder to write a homeland for this sort of
> worship. Eef. But I supose that Imarj would be an example of
> a mixed common religion... I think...

So what I should be handing to my players for those Sartarite characters who want to propitiate Zola Fel should be a common religion writeup a la the examples on p111-113, right?

Those who more "directly" worship the majestic spirit Zola Fel, would be following a writeup like the examples from p141-147, is that correct? (Or, if Zola Fel is a great spirit, then I have to come up with a number of majestic spirits available in the 'Zola Fel tradition', right?)

> > > Why do they have to make sacrifices to Zola Fel?
> >
> > Because I assumed that Sartarites would be more comfortable
> > propitiating Zola Fel as a God, since I understood they had
> > a tendency to think of most things in theistic terms.
>
> Misapplied worship then...

Oi. How exactly does one decide on the effects of Misapplied Worship? I mean, I understand the rationale, and the table on p110. But, to use this as an example, suppose we *have* a writeup for (say) the Majestic Spirit Waha (p146). How do we determine what benefits misapplying-theists get from their worship of Waha as a god?

At this point, I'm assuming the answer is "whatever is appropriate for your game", and I'm cool with that, but I'd like to be playing this game "as it is mean to be played" if you see what I mean.

--
Viktor Haag : Software & Information Design : Research In Motion
                              +--+