Keeping on Topic... Re: Re: Digest Number 1575

From: Viktor Haag <vhaag_at_...>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 18:07:09 -0500

Jeff Kyer writes:

> While this deep and detailed Praxian discussion is all well
> and good - and is more suited to the Digest, perhaps we might
> return to the mater at hand? I believe it was cobbling
> together a useful Pavic/Sartarite homeland for the esteemed
> Viktor so he he can give to his players for use in actual play
> on Monday?

As a useful starting point, why don't I provide what I've got so far (warning -- fairly long post!). I've cobbled this together from the Heortling homeland in HQ, and various other sources. Any comments on this?

Homeland: Pavic Sartarite

The Pavic Sartarites are immigrant Heortlings from the people of Dragon Pass and the northern Heortland peninsula, living in a land remarkably different than the hills and forests of their forebears. The farmers and townsfolk of Pavis County maintain the traditions of their Sartarite ancestors; however, agriculture and land-ownership have replaced martial prowess as the strongest tokens of leadership. These folk have traded the incessant clan feuding of the Sartar hill peoples for the more civilized warfare of coin and land title.

The Lunar Empire currently occupies the land. Soldiers live in its cities, magicians plot against local gods, and plunderers regularly collect taxes from locals. Perhaps because the land here was a melting pot to begin with, and perhaps because the Sartarites are relatively recent immigrants themselves, their relationship with the Empire is less confrontational, although resentment and hatred still seeth below the surface.

Pavic Sartarite Homeland Keyword

Occupations available:

   Boatman, Entertainer (Bagpiper, Puppeteer, Skald), Farmer,    Healer, Hunter, Merchant, Scholar, Thief, Warrior

Native abilities:

   Zola Fel Valley Geography, Farming, River Valley Survival,    Sartarite Customs, Speak Sartarite, Speak Pavic, Speak Praxian

Men only:

   Spear and Shield Combat

Woman only:

   Spinning and Weaving

Typical personality traits:

   Hate Chaos, Hate Lunars, Patiently Bides Time

Typical relationships:

   to Ancestors; to Bloodline or Family; to Clan; to Temple

Magic:

   Common Magic, Storm Panetheon (theism), Pavic Pantheon    (theism), Zola Fel (theism/misapplied or animism?)

Common Names:

   As "Homeland: Heortling"

Origin

Dorasar, a grandson of the great king Sartar himself, came to the Zola Fel valley with many friends and volunteers, swiftly made friends and allies with many local peoples, and founded the city of New Pavis. During his life, Dorasar ruled strongly and well. His city was not part of the kingdom of Sartar, though it swelled with refugees from that war-torn land. His farmers went up and down the river, expanding their holdings and remaining friendly with the nomads. Many more Sartarites have arrived in recent years, since the usurpation of their lands by the Lunar Empire, and especially since the tragically failed rebellion led by Kallyr Starbrow. However, despite periodic tensions between our people and nomads, and between our people and our new Lunar overlords, we remain confident that we will prosper and persevere in our new, adopted home.

Common Religions

Flesh Man

   The Sartarites' ancestor, the Flesh Man, provides common magic    to all Sartarites wherever they live, to help them survive in    a dangerous world.

   Flesh Man Talents: Attack Enemy Spirit, Run Through Scrub,    Conceal Object, Find Water, Gesture to Ward Off Magic, Heal    Flesh, Hide in Cover, Hide in the Open, Jump Safely, Light,    Make Fire, Protect from Ancestor, Talk to Ancestor, Throwing    Stick.

Specialized Religion

Sartarites homesteaders or townies outisde Pavis are likely to specialize in the Storm pantheon just as their ancestors did. Sartarites living in New (or Old) Pavis might chose to specialize in worshipping Pavis or one of his aspects. Sartarites living near or on the Zola Fel river might chose to specialize in worshipping Zola Fel.

Pavis Keyword

   Abilities:

      Masonry, Mythology of Pavis, Plant Lore

   Virtues:

      Law-abiding

   Magic:

      Divine aid

   Other Side:

      The Palace rests on Pavis' Hill in a Realm that is walled
      off from all others. Pavis' followers expect to join him
      there after death, and after resting may choose to be
      returned to the cycle of life. Gates from his Palace go to
      Issaries' market, Flintnail's Workshop, and Genert's
      Garden.

Zola Fel Keyword

   Abilities:

      Cast Net, Dive, Hold Breath, Know River, Swim, Zola Fel
      Tradition Knowledge

   Virtues:
      Determined, Enduring

   Magic:
      Tradition spirits (members usually start with 5 charms):

      River Spirits: Breathe Water 6 to 1W, Buoyancy 7 to 15,
      Cleanse 6 to 5W, Extinguish Fire 17, See Through Water 19,
      Swim Like a Fish 9 to 16

   Other Side:
      Worshippers enter into the Hagarn River, a spirit waterway
      that is a part of Seolinthur. From there they may ext to
      Genert's Garden, the Storm Age, the Darkness, or into
      Magasta's Ocean. Pious worshippers will be dissolved into
      the great waters after death.

Reasons to have left home

You're tired of life among the dew collectors and want to join all your friends who've run away to join the rebellion against the Empire.
--
Viktor Haag : Software & Information Design : Research In Motion
                              +--+