Re: cultural weapons?

From: S. Ben Melhuish <sben_at_...>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 11:25:59 -0800

Stephen Tempest wrote:

> bethexton_at_... writes:
>

>>Praxians:  spears and/or swords, both with shields, execpt for the
>>pygmies.  Bows except amongst bison riders.

> Praxians don't have metalworking, so swords will be
> fabulously-expensive imports only. Bone-tipped spears, bolas, maybe
> whips...

I was just reading my new copy of "Masters of Luck and Death" last night; according to that, most members of the Praxian Sword Man tradition (essentially misapplied worship of Humakt) use swords made of hardened bone. I don't remember specific mention of swords being uncommon among the remainder of Praxians, but that was the impression I ended up with.

Membership requirements for the tradition (or the hero band of Sword Men, whatever it's called -- I forget which, and there seems to be essentially a 1:1 mapping between the two) is to have a sword which has withstood a fierce battle. So there seems to be some recognition that just any ol' bone with a sharpened edge isn't sufficient.

In any case, I like the image of swords made out of "inappropriate" materials (which seemed to be a recurring theme in "MoLaD" -- q.v. the Wooden Sword of the Aldryami), at least in special cases.

--
Pile on!
http://pile.org/