Re: Re: cultural weapons?

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 12:40:57 -0800

> > >Praxians: spears and/or swords, both with shields, execpt for the
> > >pygmies. Bows except amongst bison riders.
> >
> > Praxians don't have metalworking, so swords will be
> > fabulously-expensive imports only. Bone-tipped spears, bolas, maybe
> > whips...
>
> That is what I would have thought too, in fact for all nomadic
> people, but oddly the "nomad" profession key word includes both spear
> and sword combat. So I presume nomads have a thing for swords for
> some reason?

Most of the nomadic people do have access to metal (Char Un, Pentans and Grazers are the other "Nomads" for the most part). Horsey people tend to like swords, whether longer broadswords (to reach down to people trying to duck under the horse) to sabres and scimitars for slashing attacks. Praxians are really the only nomads that *don't* have access to metal weapons. Of the praxian nomads, the weapon breakdown (from Cults of Prax, since pretty much gregged) is (Primary, Secondary, Tertiary):

Impala: Bow, darts, short sword

Llama: Lance, javelin, broad sword
Sable: Any
Bison: Lance, sword, javelin (Bison no longer get javelins)
Zebra: Bow, lance, sword (Zebra people do have access to metal)
Unicorn: Bow, sword/axe, lance (another people with some access to metal) Rhino: Lance, axe, mace.

Also remember that there are some ancestral looted metal weapons & armor around Prax & the Wastes, though a lot were probably removed from praxian hands after Moonbroth... The Sables would get first pick at lunar imports, so probably have more in the way of metal.

RR
- Richelieu