Re: Cultural weapons

From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_...>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 10:46:44 -0800 (PST)

> From: bethexton_at_...
> Praxians: spears and/or swords, both with
> shields, execpt for the pygmies. Bows except
> amongst bison riders.

Basically right, with lots of exceptions. Roderick provided the chart from Cults of Prax:

> Impala: Bow, darts, short sword
> Llama: Lance, javelin, broad sword
> Sable: Any
> Bison: Lance, sword, javelin
> (Bison no longer get javelins)
> Zebra: Bow, lance, sword
> (Zebra people do have access to metal)
> Unicorn: Bow, sword/axe, lance
> (another people with some access to metal)
> Rhino: Lance, axe, mace.

Generally, I'd agree with this list, except that I think:

Anyone else would call an Impala "short swords" a "big knife"; it is clearly made out of bone.

The High Llama broad sword is might be made from a Llama thigh bone. That makes it long, probably single-edged, for slashing, perhaps with a bump at the end where the knee was. Remember that it would be made for hitting someone on the back of another animal that is shorter than a high llama.

All humans would use shields.

Morocanth use claws.

> From: Stephen Tempest
>
> Praxians don't have metalworking, so swords will
> be fabulously-expensive imports only.

Metal swords wil be, but they have a magic for making bone swords. They're a little brittle against good armor, though.

> Bone-tipped spears, bolas, maybe whips...

Horn is also a good working material.

> From: "S. Ben Melhuish" <sben_at_...>
>
> I was just reading my new copy of "Masters of
> Luck and Death" last night; according to that,
> most members of the Praxian Sword Man tradition
> (essentially misapplied worship of Humakt)
> use swords made of hardened bone.

It is not just a Sword Man thing, though theirs are the best by far. Praxians work bone and horn pretty well. Apart from rocks, it is the hardest thing that have available to them.

> I don't remember specific mention of
> swords being uncommon among the remainder
> of Praxians, but that was the impression I
> ended up with.

They are pretty uncommon. Axes are easier to make. I think they also have some weapons that are somewhere between a sword and an axe -- something like a klanth.   In RQ terms, just call it a sword or whatever.

> Membership requirements for the tradition
> (or the hero band of Sword Men, whatever it's
> called -- I forget which, and there seems to be
> essentially a 1:1 mapping between the two) is to
> have a sword which has withstood a fierce battle.
> So there seems to be some recognition that
> just any ol' bone with a sharpened edge isn't
> sufficient.

Also that a bone sword is inherently fragile. If it survived a fierce battle, the Sword Man must have blessed you.

Bryan Thexton:
> That is what I would have thought too, in fact
> for all nomadic people, but oddly the "nomad"
> profession key word includes both spear and
> sword combat. So I presume nomads have a thing
> for swords for some reason?

If I had my entirely retrospective druthers, the nomad keyword would have said "Tribal Weapons" or something like that. But hindsight is 10W3. I think you just substitute for spear and sword whenever appropriate.

Chris Lemens

Yahoo! Finance: Get your refund fast by filing online. http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html