Re: Hey Guys! I'm new to Hero Quest

From: Guy Hoyle <ghoyle1_at_...>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 22:36:42 -0600

John wrote:

>I saw this game on Steve's website a few months back. I saw the cover
>art of the Imperial Lunar Handbook. It looked interesting to say the
>least. I wasn't really sure what was up. I saw a game called Hero
>Wars which was about novel size. Then I found books with the Hero
>Quest Logo on them. It was confusing at first. I decided to do a
>little research on the subject. Why the name change? I also noticed
>that Hero Quest has a Steve Jackson logo on the cover as well now. I
>haven't managed to pick up the main book yet. Because me gaming store
>didn't have a copy on hand. But I did manage to get a copy of the
>hero's book though. My main book should hopefully be in next week I'm
>keeping my fingers crossed. I noticed this game has a very dedicated
>fan base. So I'm interested in seeing what makes this game so great
>and why people like it so much. I'm really happy to be a part of the
>community.

Welcome aboard, John! Glorantha and HeroQuest may be confusing, but you've come to the right place. ask plenty of questions, make a nuisance of yourself, and then start coming up with absurd theories of your own*, and you should fit right in.

The name change? HeroQuesting has been part of Glorantha from the beginning, but the name HeroQuest had been trademarked/copyrighted for a boardgame years ago. When the copyright on the name expired, Issaries restored it to its rightful place for the second edition of what had been Hero Wars. This new edition is much clearer than hero wars was, and has some rules changes and clarifications.

Guy (Hoyle)