Re: Re: Cultural weapons

From: Stephen Tempest <e-g_at_...>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 10:38:10 +0000

Julian Lord <jlord_at_...> writes:

>Gloranthan bone has often been described as a *metal*,
>remember ...
>
>I think that a sufficiently proficient craftsman/magician
>could probably shape bone as easily as any other metal,
>so there must be bone vases, bone war chariots,
>bone plumbing in ancient tada-shi dwellings etc ...

Yes, but... from a gaming point of view this would be no fun at all. (IMO) "Here's a culture which has no use of metal and very little wood... but they magically enchant bone to have the same properties, so from a functional point of view they can have the exact same tools and artefacts as every single other culture in Glorantha."

Praxian technology should reflect their environment, not use "it's magic" as a way to avoid the issue entirely.

Having said that, there certainly would be a place for the kind of magical bone artefacts you describe - but as strange, rare, exotic and Hero-level magic, not something Joe Bison can pick up at the next seasonal clan market...

Stephen