Re: Broos at Moonbroth

From: simon_hibbs2 <simon.hibbs_at_...>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 13:23:16 -0000

Remember not all Gloranthan have the same level of information, or access to advanced philosophical viewpoints that you have. Many of them are deeply ignorant of the world beyond their close family, have no awarenesss of deep philosophical analyses of chaos, and are focused almost entirely on the hand-to-mouth survival of themselves and their kin. Mnay of them only have a basic understanding of their own religion, just as it is in the real world. Many of these Gloranthans are Praxians.

> But,
> given the whitewashing of Chaos in HeroQuest and the recent HQ
> publications, maybe this is the new party line.

What whitewashing? Maybe I missed a recent publication?

> So, is Chaos just differing philosophy now, rather than the
> Lovecraft-Moorcock inspired horror that it formerly seemed to be?

Oh, it was always much worse than that, and the inspiration had nothing to do with Lovecraft or Moorcock. They're pussies in comparrison.

> Also, since there seems to be no problem retroactively changing the
nature
> of the great supernatural beings of Prax from gods to spirits, is
there a
> problem reworking other older aspects of Glorantha, such as
rewriting
> history so that Broos were not used as allies by the Praxians at
Moonbroth?

The re-definition of the Praxian gods to beign Great Spirits is hardly a big deal, it's realy no more than a typological refinement. Ever since RQ3 there's been a clear distinction between cults that had pure priests, and cults where the shamans acted as priests, but had very limited priestly magic. HeroQuest has merely clarified the reasons behind that. The distinction between Gods and Great Spirits could have been made then without changing a single rule, or breaking a single thing about the background, and actualy it would have made things a lot clearer.

Simon Hibbs