Broos at Moonbroth

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 07:47:29 -0800

Friends,

YGWV.
> From: Andrew Dawson <asmpd_at_...>
>Subject: Re: Re: Broos at Moonbroth
>
>But,
>given the whitewashing of Chaos in HeroQuest and
>the recent HQ
>publications, maybe this is the new party line.

I am pretty curious about this aspect myself. Whitewashing?
Where?

>is there a
>problem reworking other older aspects of Glorantha,
>such as rewriting
>history so that Broos were not used as allies by
>the Praxians at Moonbroth?

I am curious about the reworking that is held to be necessary. specifically: WHAT official history of Moonbroth? As far as I can recall, there is none that is "official." "Official" here means it is by me, or on the II website. Nick B. and I have had some interesting talks about this, and becasue of the general level of good insight that Nick has I've more or less said his version is pretty good. But official?
Well, look, I don't memorize everything that I write or approve of (that is what writing is for, after all), but please do direct me to the official statement about the b attle at Moonbroth. I can be wrong. (see gregging comments elsewhere)

That having been said, I will make two points. One: NG is a very early source, and it is not a set of singular facts. It is a compilation of various reports about a series of events. Thus the inlcusion of broos in the battalia there only implies that there was, at some point, some broos that helped the nomads somewhere. Likewise for them helping anyone else!

On the same vein, the game Dragon Pass has all those heroes and armies in one boardgame. The game is actually a compression of a couple of decades of warfare into a single game. The board game is not intended to be a source of a single event, but rather a compilation of many events to give the players as much enjoyment and local color as is possible for a game.

Two: That being said, I can easily see the nomads using their foul enemies as temporary allies. Nothing better than having enemies kill each other.

Sincerely,
Greg Stafford