Re: Re: Broos at Moonbroth

From: donald_at_...
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 14:09:56 GMT

In message <5.1.1.6.0.20040215235251.01064f78_at_...> Andrew Dawson writes:

>Of course YGWV, but I think that equating human atrocities committed by
>Mongols and Tartars with the inhuman uncleanliness of Chaos, given the
>repeatedly demonstrable nature of the supernatural (deities, spirits, etc.)
>of Glorantha, cheapens the magical/supernatural nature of Glorantha. But,
>given the whitewashing of Chaos in HeroQuest and the recent HQ
>publications, maybe this is the new party line.
>
>So, is Chaos just differing philosophy now, rather than the
>Lovecraft-Moorcock inspired horror that it formerly seemed to be?

There's always been an ambiguity over chaos, at least as far back as RQII. Before that I think there was a time when the main conflict was light versus darkness - sun god worshippers against trolls. I've always seen Gloranthan chaos as more Moorcock than Lovecraft - philosphically essential to the world but inherently dangerous to human societies with only the extreme descending into true horror. Equally the opposite extreme of law - a rigidly hierarchical society such as Dara Happa or the deathless Brithini - is horrific in its own way.

>Also, since there seems to be no problem retroactively changing the nature
>of the great supernatural beings of Prax from gods to spirits, is there a
>problem reworking other older aspects of Glorantha, such as rewriting
>history so that Broos were not used as allies by the Praxians at Moonbroth?

It could be done, but to what purpose? If you're trying to split the peoples of Glorantha into goodies and baddies it won't fit. There's no black and white in Glorantha although just about every group will try and tell you they're the goodies and some other group are the baddies.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/