Chaos [was Re: Broos at Moonbroth]

From: Rob <robert_m_davis_at_...>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 21:25:49 -0000

> At 12:02 AM 2/16/2004 -0600, Andrew Dawson wrote:
> >Of course YGWV, but I think that equating human atrocities
committed by
> >Mongols and Tartars with the inhuman uncleanliness of Chaos, given
the
> >repeatedly demonstrable nature of the supernatural (deities,
spirits, etc.)
> >of Glorantha, cheapens the magical/supernatural nature of
Glorantha.

I agree

> I'm not quite sure when Chaos has been whitewashed, but:
>
> Assuming you are running a game where the Lunars might be
right
> (or, at least, not Totally Wrong), chaos has to be acceptable in
some form.
> You could treat it like nuclear power -- some people feel that
messing
> around with it is always bad, while others feel that the power
aspect is
> good (and superior to other options, even considering its
drawbacks) but
> using it as a weapon is terrible.

Nuclear power is neutral in alignment to coin a phrase. In my game, the nature of Chaos is evil. Without getting overly philosophicall about the nature of good and evil - something I'm not qualified for and this aint the digest

Still others feel that it has a viable
> role as a weapon. It is possible to hold any of these views and
still be a
> moral person of good will. I assume that the Empire has people who
fall
> into all of these camps, although, since the government
philosophically
> accepts chaos, being too anti-chaos is probably seditious.

The Red Goddess is illuminated, which goes a long way to explain her position.

> I like the idea that Chaos was brought unwillingly into
the world
> by the Unholy Trio (or whomever), and its destructive actions are
caused by
> the painful disjunction between the world that is (Law or Cosmos)
and the
> world that isn't (Chaos).

I don't think Wakboth and his "evil" (misunderstood poor bunnies) is described here!

This state of affairs was coded into the world by
> the Compromise, so Chaos is here to stay. However, by accepting,
guiding,
> and enlightening Chaos and allowing it to transcend the world by
the holy
> path of the Red Goddess, Lunars are reducing the amount of Chaos in
> Glorantha. In contrast, the frenzied flailings of the Uroxi just
kill
> bodies, keeping the tormented powers of chaos trapped in the cycle
of death
> and rebirth -- lots of action, no progress. Of course, many Lunars
get too
> close to Chaos and try to use, rather than heal, it -- they likely
end up
> spreading the taint.
>
> Obviously, the distinctions of the previous paragraph will
be lost
> on the philosophically backward barbarians of Sartar, but that's
what the
> brave and compassionate missionaries are for.
>
> Peter Larsen

Peter, are you from Dara Harpa? ;-)