Re: Re: Broos at Moonbroth

From: Andrew Dawson <asmpd_at_...>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 16:08:57 -0600

At 06:12 PM 2/16/2004 +0000, bethexton_at_... wrote:

> > "Whitewashing" may have stronger implications than I intended;
>maybe the
> > word I should have used was "understating". To understand, read
>HeroQuest
> > as though it's an introduction to Glorantha for the newbie, and
>assess the
> > threat of Chaos. It's present, and there are a couple of sentences
>that
> > tell you that Chaos is bad, but it primarily appears to be a source
>of
> > monsters to fight.
>
>My purely unnoficial view on this: The hero wars aren't really about
>chaos. Sure, chaos is involved, various sides may attempt to use
>chaos to their advantage, this may result in the destruction of the
>world.....but it isn't a war against chaos.

My unofficial view on this is that Chaos plays a large part in the Hero Wars. The only Issaries (Chaosium, whatever) published source available that details anything after the start of the Hero Wars (with the possible exception of some incidents involving Pavis--the Cradle, Coders, and such) is King of Sartar and it (given the protestations that it's a deliberately obscure and internally inconsistent source) is clear that there is a Chaos component to the Hero Wars.

Also, in message 16250 of this group, Greg has hinted that the Vadeli are the real bad guys (subject to Gregging, unpublished, possibly to be overturned in a future story arc, blah, blah, blah). If we accept that the Vadeli are the source/expression of Chaos in the West (subject to Gregging, unpublished, possibly to be overturned in a future story arc, blah, blah, blah), this may support Chaos being the real villains.

Since I'm anticipating a moderator stomping any time now, I'd like to point out that I'm discussing a basic part of Glorantha for those new to the setting, and that I've avoided Glorantha Digest sources, unpublished manuscripts, GTA stuff, etc.

YGMV,
Andy