Re: Digest Number 1591

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_...>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 09:01:50 +0100 (CET)

Andrew Dawson
> If shown that Chaos is the ultimate badness, how can a sane Praxian deal
> with it as a matter of expedience?

Maybe you're starting from the false premise here? I have yet to meet a sane Praxian... ;-)

In a (quite warped) way, the continued presence of Chaos in the Devil's Marsh is essential for the continuity of Beast Rider lifestyle. They require Chaos as their ritual enemy for making Khans, thereby for accessing their Founders. They fight chaos, sure, and hate it, too, but in the end they are facing a similar dilemma to the victors at the end of E.R.Eddison's "The Worm Ouroboros".

> Is the answer that Praxians don't
> reenact and understand their mythic past?

I'm fairly certain that Prax as well as other places has myths about chaos turning on chaos. In reenacting one's mythic past, choice of myth is quite important.

> Is the supernatural considered a sham or a convenience for
> those who don't need to struggle for life's needs in Glorantha?

Neither. Not that I know any group that does not has to struggle in some way for life's needs.

The supernatural is a fact of life. Sometimes, like in Prax, it can make its presence known in a very drastic way, such as encountering the Eternal Battle, where Storm Bull's battle against Chaos still continues.

> I see
> Glorantha as being different from this world in that the supernatural is
> required to supply life's needs and it much higher on a hierarchy of needs
> than it is in this world.

Only if you view the supernatural with 20th or 21st century Western eyes. Our Germanic, Celtic, Hebrew or whatever ancestors were perfectly willing to place the supernatural over their individual lives.