Re: Ahh! Assistance needed from experts!

From: Viktor Haag <vhaag_at_...>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 12:14:02 -0500

Mark Galeotti writes:
> Ah, players, they do insist on having Ideas!
>
> Remember that most Gloranthans -- unlike most heroes -- mix their
> magics. He could not have concentrated on theism and thus be an
> initiate of LM and still have the opportunity of practicing animism,
> too.

I'm a bit confused: is one required to concentrate magic to be an initiate? I thought that you were only required to concentrate to be a devotee?

>From p115 (Concentrating Theism section):

     Any theist can [concentrate on theism], but it is required
     before gaining a divine companion or becoming a devotee and
     learning feats within a deity's affinity.

> Perhaps he is a practitioner of the little known Light Behind
> Shadow spirit practice, or maybe this is just something still
> a potential future route.

I'm leaning towards creating an analog for Torvald (perhaps even one of Torvald's own "lost scrolls") to deal with Spirit Magic. Perhaps also limiting his provided magical abilities to apply only to Spirits currently inhabiting the natural world (landscape spirits, and possessing spirits, and the like).

--
Viktor Haag : Software & Information Design : Research In Motion
                              +--+