Teshnan Concentrators (was Re: Ahh! Assistance)

From: bethexton_at_...
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 20:31:09 -0000

I see at least three ways of approaching this:

  1. It is inherently a mixed religion, and most people never concentrate, and yes to concentrate means giving up half your magic. So Devotees will be rare and limited. Personally I don't like that solution.
  2. Say that the real rule for being a devotee is to give up all magic that doesn't come from your god. Of course, in most religions that would mean you might as well concentrate your magic, but it isn't actually a requirement. So they can become devotees, but keep paying double costs. I still don't like it much.
  3. Follow the 'rule' implied by the 7 mothers in HQ and the rules for Lanbril and Donandar concentration in MoLaD, and let them concentrate their magic on what their god gives (even as initiates). This gives them the usual benefits of concentration for their gods magic, but they have to give up ALL other magic (including that lovely spell of health). That gives them an affinity or two, and talents or spells that can be used as active abilities. As a devotee they could use their feats and talents/spells as active abilities. This makes the most sense to me, although I don't know how well it fits cosmological principles of Gloranthaness.

--Bryan