Re: Ahh! Assistance needed from experts!

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 18:25:52 -0800

Viktor

>Hmm -- I haven't read the Storm Tribe conversion notes yet: does
>this mean that Torvald is a "common religion"? (I have not
>problem treating him that way; it seems logical to me.)

I would have a problem treating any subcult of a deity as a common religion, since deities have their own Otherworld, rather than residing in the Inner World which is the source of common magic.

I think there are a plethora of subcult variations or hero cults which aren't documented and which would make sense in anyone's Glorantha (well, maybe it wouldn't make sense to have ALL of them). I'm doing this routinely in my game to spice things up.

Moah

>Couldn't he also be one of these rare people with a purely spiritist
>soul, who got dragged into the more accepted religion of the area,
>more or less without knowing what's going on? He'd have mundane know-
>ledge of the Lankhor Mhy cult, but no magic. That'd explain both why
>he is fascinated with spirits, and why his spirit magic actually works

So he's really an animist (perhaps a spirit-talker) who is trying to join Lhankor Mhy in order to understand the spirit world?

>*shrugs* I've seen something like that somewhere, maybe a KoDP event.

Doesn't ring a bell, though I think there were people with natural affinity for spirits. (Though one such event is probably with a "common magic spirit.")

Mike

>And how does someone teach a talent, anyway?

Perhaps one has to start by not being a person?

--

David Dunham