Re: Ahh! Assistance needed from experts!

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 15:35:17 -0000

> I would have a problem treating any subcult of a deity as a common
> religion, since deities have their own Otherworld, rather than
> residing in the Inner World which is the source of common magic.

Interesting. I thought that the Inner World was the source of talents, but that a common religion could include magic from the inner and any of the other worlds. So I do not think that source of magic is a distinguishing feature of a common religion. That said I do agree that sub-cults of a deity as a common religion does have a bad smell to it.

That said for a forthecoming game I have 'The Thunder Brothers' as a common religion. It works for me because they are being worshipped as a collective and include many faceless members beyond those who are known sub-cults. IMG their role in Heortling society is to give some fightin' magic to members of the short-call and the like. Of course YGMV.

But I think we need to be careful about drawing lines here.