Re: Ahh! Assistance needed from experts!

From: bethexton_at_...
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 14:07:47 -0000

I thought that was what Flesh Man provided? I assumed this was a secondary, less common, common magic society. It seemed unlikely to me that many people would bother belonging to two different sources of common magic with mostly overlapping magic. As Flesh Man is the one listed in HQ I make the assumption that it is the most common and widespread one, and hence that everything else must be less common, and presumably less broadly useful (else it would be likely to be the more common one).

So, if Flesh Man provides a lot of the useful everyday magics, then I don't think there should be a second society offering a lot of useful everyday magic. However, given that most Heortlings have to fight real battles at least a few times in their life, and that many have to deal with bandits and cattle raids somewhat more often, even if they are 'providers' it makes sense to me that there would be some way those worshipping working gods could get some limited combat magic.

A Thunder Brothers common magic society focussing on basic battle magic makes sense to me, and I don't think it would overshadow 'real' combat magic as it is strictly augments and each ability is fairly narrow, so I think it would be very rare for anyone to get more than a +3 off of it (OK, they could be used as active feats if they specialize their magic, but most of the examples offered seemed to me to offer little scope as active abilities. This was also why I suggested that they shouldn't all be feats).

That is also why I suggested that there may be similar societies that let young hot bloods following warrior deities to have a little magic when they have to go do their stint in the fields. I agree that there should be common magic sources for some farming help, I just don't think it has to be from the same society as the battle magic.

I think basically we were coming at this from different perspectives. So whatever works in your game I guess :)

--Bryan