Re: Re: Heortling Collectives for Common Magic

From: Darran <darransims_at_...>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 13:10:29 -0000

Greetings and Salutations
2004-02-22-1305.

Peter Larsen wrote:
> bethexton_at_... wrote:
> >With all these forest meetings there is an exchange of
> >gossip, and people get to meet each other, and marriages are usually
> >arranged this way, with little to do with the alliances and tribes
> >that the carls are so concerned with. So families spread in a
> >different way.
>
> Indeed, again. And they probably swap charms and runesticks and
> all that other stuff, but I doubt they build up societies in the way you're
> describing. If there were even semi-organized folk societies between clans,
> I think the carls would eventually notice and put a stop to it. What
> probably does happen, for those Call of Gloranthulu fans out there, is the
> lower-than-cotter types sometimes stumble on things they shouldn't --
> remnants of earlier ages, unfriendly spirits, etc -- and they get a little
> power and a little more, then sheep start disappearing and the occasional
> cow, stickpickers from other clans get in on the act, and there is a cancer
> growing in the deeper woods....

I do like this as it is a good source for future stories. In fact I will steal this idea and be using this in some of my games.

I agree with Peter though that it wouldn't be too organised [Orlanthi of any social rank are not actually renowned for there organising abilities :-) ]. Little groups keeping secrets is okay but not secret societies spanning tribal confederations, I think not!

Cheers,
DARRAN SIMS

darransims_at_...
darren.sims_at_...

Go to Continuum! NOW!!!
http://www.continuum.uk.net
For the Yahoo Group goto:
continuum2004-subscribe_at_yahoogroups.com