Re: eurmalis in clans

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 22:40:13 +0000 (GMT)

> I have a very simple question: how many trickster
> can a clan accpet or
> tolerate? One of my players has chosen to be a
> trickster, and they have
> chosen to use a lightbringer ring, which menas they
> need a trickster for
> the ring, but i'm not really willing to have one
> player start as a clan ring member.

When this happened in my game, we said that once the PC was discovered to be a trickster, he had to accept being bound by an Orlanthi or immediate execution (by lynch mob). The chief already had his own bound Trickster, so he needed a different sponsor/sucker. And he got bound by one of the other PCs.

This does of course raise the issue of just how much protection someone lower than the chief in rank can give him. "Not enough" would seem to cover it. Both player and PC know very well that if he causes too much trouble, the sponsor isn't going to be able to protect him from the consequences. As it is, he's under a very strict set of rules, spending most nights tied up, being forced to wear a distinctive hat at all times so as to be recognisable (yes, it has bells on, yes, the player has to wear one too), and almost anything else any PC or NPC can think of to make his life miserable.

And he's also apprenticed to the "real" Trickster for the clan, who's permanently drunk and beats him up a lot without ever knowingly teaching him anything useful.

Even at that, I suspect that I'm being more generous to him than I should be, but it's a playable compromise with a lot of potential for fun.

(And the player has now left the area, so the problem went away.)

Jane Williams

Yahoo! Messenger - Communicate instantly..."Ping" your friends today! Download Messenger Now http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com/download/index.html