Re: more Common magic list

From: Benedict Adamson <yahoo_at_...>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 23:37:38 +0000

Darran wrote:
> With all this talk about common magic et all and
> with the success of compiling a list of 'strange and weird abilities'
> why don't we try to compile a bigger list of common magic?

I have a different suggestion. Why don't we try to devise guidelines for   indicating the range and types of Common Magic available in differnt cultures (/Common Religions)?

Compare and contrast with Feats and Affinities. We get an Affinity name, a small set of named Feats and a short god description that together give us a good idea of the kind of magic that other (unlisted) Feats of that Affinity can do.

For example, consider how the listed Feats of the Orlanth Thunderous cults all make sense. I doubt I would have difficulties creating additional Feats for them or (as a Narrator) deicding whether a player's suggestion were reasonable.

Sometimes the groups of Common Magic hang together (for example, the Survival Tricks on HQ page 38) but often they seem random (for example to Cult Societies on the same page). Somtimes they seem to to be reaching towards coherence but fall short (for example, the People Talents on HQ page 40).

Of course, we could just decide that Common Magic can provide any kind of ability in any form (talent/feat/charm/spell). But I'd like to think there was some reason to devote space to listing differnt Common Magic for different cultures, rather than providing a single unified list.