Re: Re: No common magic feats for Heortlings [was: Heortling Collectives for Common Magic]

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 10:46:01 -0800

> > > Though I wonder if you'd really lose the magic when
> > > concentrating or just lose the use of it. I suspect the former
> > > though the later *does* have some interesting roleplaying
> > > opportunties.
> >
> > I think that you do not actually lose the use of your *other* magic.
> > Perhaps you just have a block that prevents you using it [on your
> character sheet it is crossed out but still readable].
> > You would have to go through a contest to actually use it,
> something like 'member of' pantheon, congregation, intercessor, or
> whatever against a passion or virtue involved in the situation
> requiring the contest.
> > However there would always be consquences in dipping in on now
> forbidden magics in full face of your concentrated religion.

> I'm not so sure. Concentration = Purification of yourself into a
> Spirit, Soul or Essence (or Self, for that matter) so I'm not sure
> that the ability remains.

The Nasty Narrator way to do it is to say: "Sure, leave it on your sheet - don't even cross it out. (sotto voce) Of course, if you actually use it, you'll have to pay full HP to re-concentrate your magic (representing purification rituals, etc), as well as losing any religious status you may have had, like Devotee; you'll have to pay full HP to re-devote yourself, oh and those Agents of Retirbution for your cult *will* pay you a visit ..."

RR
- Richelieu