Re: No common magic feats for Heortlings [was: Heortling Collectives for Common

From: bethexton_at_...
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 14:01:46 -0000

I think the most common form of concentration is towards a magic system, except that most Gloranthans probably see it more as "purifying your soul" (or spirit, or essence), driving out or at least suppressing some of your mixed nature, bringing you closer to the appropriate otherworld and the pure, good, state of the distant past. (or in the case of talents, embracing your mixed nature and making sure it is in balance).

But there are examples of concentrating on a "god." The lunars can do it, MoLaD tell how to do it for Donandar and Lanbril. An answer on the rules list told how to devote to a Teshnan "god," and implied that this is in fact a form of mysticism. Certainly for good fun I can't see why anyone should be unable to concentrate on all the magic from their god (and their god alone), if they have a good story for it.

For me, I think making players choose between broad, weak, powers, and more focussed, more potent, powers is dramatically interesting. Also, to me, one of the key battles in the Hero Wars is between the otherworlds and the mixed world. But I can certainly see the sense behind letting players have as many toys as possible too.

--Bryan