Re: Resurrection

From: wbcreighton <wbcreighton_at_...>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 16:11:17 -0000

In other words if they are questing together they might view the encounters as part of their own mythic stories.

> > So lets say Arroin and Elmal meet up somehow during the LBQ. Or
it
> > might not be during LBQ since Time wouldn't exist at that point
(??).

> It is a definite possibility that both lingered in or around Dragon
> Pass during the Greater Darkness. At some point, Elmal was bound to
> Kero Fin, but that may have been after your events.

But do the events have any specific order? (Does Time exixt?) Someone has also mentioned that Gods can manifest in many locations at the same time.

I think that what the players are actually trying to do is part of the details hidden in the myths of two different cultures. Elaml defends the Storm Realm against chaos. Arroin attempts to heal chaos and loses his healing powers in the attempt. Vivamort injures Arroin during an encounter. Those are single lines in different stories. What the players are attempting to do is uncover the details of the myths and the possibility that there are links between them.

It isn't easy and it is a dangerous proposition.

> Basically, Elmal guarded the "stead" (aka Dragon Pass) throughout
the
> Vingkotling Age. Orlanth spent much "time" away - in exile, being
> king, raiding or avenging, at the Hill of Gold, whatever.
>

> > My whole idea is stretching things since the group probably
isn't
> > fully ready for a HQ but "dramatic" is why I'm playing in the
first
> > place. Their going to have to rely on those enigmatic aldryami to
> > guide them part of the way.
>
> Who is going to be the quester? An elf hero? Borrowing the story
from the Heortlings in the party?

Very good question. We haven't pieced that together yet. I am wondering if it might be two quests that cross at a critical point in the story. A point where myth coincides with myth.

Arroin is an Orlanthi hero/god. In the pre HW myth Arroin is also know to the elves as a friend to their King High Elf. So if I keep this idea then one of the Orlanthi could be the quester and the elves would know of the hero's part he is taking ?

> I find that quest a very un-group-friendly effort. One hero stands
and faces them all. Not that far away from a "mystic" sitting on a
> mountain top, with a quarterstaff across his lap should anybody
> disturb his circles... (i.e. too active for true mysticism, but the
> suffering certainly points to this direction)

I think that both the elves and the Orlanthi know of Arroin (Eron). Perhaps this quest will help to illuminate the connection between Arroin and Eron if there is any.

> One problem I see is that all the damage that is reknit is taken as
> part of the quest. But that's why you need the elves, I suppose...
>
> Another thing troubling me is the absence of any healer (magical or
> not) in the quest. That's sort of the point of the quest.

Do you mean a healer as part of the player character group or a healer as part of the quest group in the myth. Arroin is my idea of the healer.

> But then there are other quests for Elmal we haven't heard about
yet, like Elmal shields the raid (Vingkotlings vs Dara Happans). While he > didn't resurrect Lastralgor, we have Jorganos the Archer disappearing
> after his land was cursed. The way I read the hints in DP:LoT, he
may have disappeared somewhere in southern Peloria, near Rist.

> Jorganos used the bow (which returned to his descendants). He once
> shot an arrow into the ground which grew into a bush. I wonder
whether
> this marks him as an elf-friend. The idea of resurrection as a tree
> has potential (or in his case, possibly as a live bow - do aldryami
> regard their bows as weapons or as fellow aldryami? Though the same
> could be asked about Humakti and their blades...).

Thanks for the feedback.
Warren