running little heroquests

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 14:30:02 -0800

I'm reviewing the Heroquesting section of HeroQuest, and don't see something that I thought was typical of heroquests (and which we put into King of Dragon Pass).

It was my understanding that, at a certain level one can actually go in and out of the Hero Plane, sometimes meeting heroquesting foes, and sometimes meeting heroes or demigods.

HQ makes the distinction between practice quest, otherworld journey, and true heroquesting, and also between communal, hero, and god level. None of this quite fits with the older scheme (which might be a misunderstanding, but Greg seemed to agree with it 5 years ago).

The reason I'm asking is that my players have decided to use a myth in order to get a cooler guardian for their new hero band. I figure this can get them something more powerful than the standard 48 points, and also something the rules don't specify (they want an animated statue).

This isn't really a major use of the myth, so a true heroquest at hero level is probably too challenging. On the other hand, I'm not sure it's really a practice quest.

Anyone have thoughts on the best way to run this sort of quest?

--

David Dunham