The Magic of Others - learning Theist magic (Was Heortling Common Magic thread)

From: Agent Groove <coridan_at_...>
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 04:00:43 -0500

> This is already the case for Devotees. You don't get magic from Allied
Cults
> like you used to in RuneQuest. You don't even get to call on other gods of
> the pantheon for aid, even if your god can't help you ("Sword: Oh Humakt!
> have a splinter in my finger, please help me get it out" Humakt: "My son,
> am the God of Severing. Do you *really* need that finger? I'll give you
the
> bravery you need to amputate it...")

So, there's no way for a Devotee of Destor to go on Heroquest and gain other Lightbringer magic, the way you could get Rune magic from allied cults by becoming an associate priest? That *is* rough. I'm not sure I like that, even if it is official. I'm still inclined to allow Devotees to gain the feats of allied deites, if they specifically HQ for magic of deities that are friendly and appear in their god's myths, and where their god is taught a secret by the allied deitie (...and thus Orlanth, who is good at everything, learned the Harmony Song from Chalana Arroy while the band stopped on the Lightbringer's Quest, when the Thunderer helped bind Issarie's wounds.) This would make inclusive heads of Pantheons potentially popular for wide worship, since they have a whole bag of magic learned or stolen from others, especially if they are footloose/travelling gods (... and when Vinga beat Destor in javelin hurling contest, he said, "Sister, show me that!" She smirked, and said, "I won't reveal my trick of the Trueaim Arm, little brother, unless you get for me cloak of the troll king Agbang!"). IMO, the 4 Magic Weapons of Orlanth are a perfect example of this. I'm sure that the Red Goddess has dozens of myths showing her mastering the powers of other deities, or learning secrets from the 7 Mothers.)

What official rules are there, if any, on gaining specific feats from other cults within your Pantheon, if you're an Initiate? I'd assume that the way to Affinities is through Initiation only. I also assume that while Initiates can only use Affinities, that Heroquests and other non-standard methods can get them access to magic normal worship can't. During character creation, this could be represented by including lines in the narrative like... "And Halgrim learned to breathe in the Bull's Courage, while on Heroquest against Chaos" (Fearless vs Chaos _at_13), or with the 10 extra abilities using the list method.

CB