Re: Followers on Quests

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 18:16:51 -0800

Graham

> >But does it even make sense for them to be going on the quest, if the
>>main character didn't have followers?
>
>Are you sure that the main character doesn't have followers? Take the
>Arming of Orlanth as an example - a common pre-ritual for Orlanthi
>HeroQuests. Part of that is for "Orlanth" to strap on his sword. But
>Orlanth's Sword is Humakt. So, surely the ritual allows for a warrior to
>step into the Humakt role, even if Humakt isn't explicitly mentioned in the
>myth.

But this isn't Orlanth (who tends towards having lots of helpers), and the myth in question actually makes a comment about the god learning how rotten loneliness is...

>In general, I'd allow a follower (or other PC) to take any role within the
>myth - even if in the original it is a part played by an object or skill of
>the main character. It seems to me to be about the only way to turn
>solitary heroquests into a meaningful group activity.

Not at all -- "All of us, our band, shall be Bonborn," says Hengal. [HQ.194] In this example, it's hard to tell if Bonborn has followers. It seems that the players don't when they go questing.

--

David Dunham