Re: running little heroquests

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 19:10:31 -0000

Hrm, it (ever so slowly...) dawns on me there might be a slight 'bootstrapping' problem here, all right... This must obviously be a 'standard' thing to do, so I'm medium-confident it's reasonably possible -- you'd think. But it'd be nice to have an amount of detail on the procedure and 'usual' difficulty of obtaining the 'usual' type of guardian, to be better able to judge how to extrapolate this to the more-explicitly heroquesty case. (The 'usual' method of obtaining a guardian must surely _be_ a HQ in some sense, unless one just happens to bump into one on one's travels and start haggling with it...)

> It seems (and Chris apparently concurs) that the "indistinct
> boundaries" form of heroquest, where you can't always tell if you're
> in the Hero Plane or in the real world facing another heroquester, is
> missing.

IMO _all_ heroquests are like that, to some degree. Almost by definition, an HQ is about the interaction between 'myth' on the one hand, and 'this ad hoc wagonload of stuff that is my life' on the other. And the section on p.198 rather imples this, surely. I'll grant that the rules could stand to make this much more explicit. (Then again, isn't it more or less First Rule, First Corollary that 'any time this book presents a difference in kind, it's almost certainly a difference in degree in disguise?)

Cheers,
A.