Re: running little heroquests

From: bethexton_at_...
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 20:07:06 -0000

I was thinking the same thing....that to count as one individual on a quest you probably need to be bound together by an existin guardian, and that to receive community support you need some guardian link to a community.....to start raw seems like it doesn't work.

This must obviously be a
> 'standard' thing to do, so I'm medium-confident it's reasonably
> possible -- you'd think. But it'd be nice to have an amount of
detail
> on the procedure and 'usual' difficulty of obtaining the 'usual'
type
> of guardian, to be better able to judge how to extrapolate this to
the
> more-explicitly heroquesty case. (The 'usual' method of obtaining a
> guardian must surely _be_ a HQ in some sense, unless one just
happens
> to bump into one on one's travels and start haggling with it...)

I think that is actually the case to some extent. That is most guardians are "otherworld beings" in nature (spirit, daimone, essence), but of this world in some way. Which is why, I suppose, they can do the things that they can, and why landscape beings are treated qutie similarly, having many of the same properties.

> > It seems (and Chris apparently concurs) that the "indistinct
> > boundaries" form of heroquest, where you can't always tell if
you're
> > in the Hero Plane or in the real world facing another
heroquester, is
> > missing.
>
> IMO _all_ heroquests are like that, to some degree.

Certainly I'd think this was the case on practice quests....where you are walking down the path that you know, and you turn a corner to a scene that is less familiar, where you find waiting for you not the beaten lunar prisoner you planned to ritually defeat, but someone totally different...did he come to your tula? Did you go to his estate? Were you both in the god's war? *shrug* who knows, just beat the bugger.

But this is just my own take on it, that just like any other ritual, practice quests have something of the other side to them. There is nothing in the HQ book that seems to really support that, I just like the imagery, so imagine that it would be so :)

--Bryan