RE: Re: Killing the Bat

From: Bruce Ferrie <bruceferrie_at_...>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 22:12:22 -0000

On Tuesday, March 02, 2004 6:10 PM, Ian Cooper wrote:
> Always reminds me of the story Bruce Ferrie tells of his campaign
> set at this period when the clan trickster devises a 'cunning plan'
> to distract and defeat the Bat by building a giant wooden moth...

It happened in a game I was running some time ago about the doomed rebellion of the Dundealos. After an initial battle, in which the first Lunar force sent to put it down was defeated, the Lunars sent lots more reinforcements. Lots of rumours started flying, and my friend Rachel's PC - Sovah Stormdancer - who was quite influential as a warband leader, was greatly worried about the Crimson Bat.

This started something of a panic, with the rumour that the Bat was coming sweeping through the whole army. The tricksters of the various clans that were present got together and announced that they had a cunning plan to build defences against Lunar magic. They erected a huge marquee near the chosen battlefield, and were hard at work inside it for about a fortnight on something that they wouldn't allow anyone in to see (most people were too scared to look, anyway).

Anyway, the battle came around, and the Dundealos were roundly defeated by a superior Lunar force - but no Bat. In the aftermath of the battle, Sovah made sure she dropped by that tent, where she found that the tricksters had built an enormous moth of wood and cloth with which to lure the Bat away. A couple of them were hiding underneath it, and they insisted it had all worked out - after all, nobody saw the Bat on the field that day. Sovah was unimpressed...

She did eventually get to meet the Bat at the siege of Whitewall, and was one of the band of heroes who drove it off. But that's another story...

Regards,

Bruce