Re: Heortling Marriage

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 09:18:57 -0000

> On Mon, 1 Jan 2001, Jane Williams wrote:
>
> > But surely this only translates as "only marry outside the clan"
if your
> > clan has only one bloodline? Which may be a reasonably common
> > situation, but certainly isn't the only possibility.

Having myself been a supporter of 'bloodlines are the basic social unit' I have to tell you that Greg clarified the position on this in a recent email.

A summary of Greg's remarks is that the clan is the most basic social unit. Clans are exogamous. Marriage between bloodlines=incest - which is forbidden. Clans are a single entity. Conflict between bloodlines = kinstrife - which is forbidden.

Ian