Re: Assault on Whitewall

From: bethexton_at_...
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 14:53:29 -0000

> So, assuming we were writing this scenario from the Orlanthi point
of
> view, what happened? We know Broyan and his companions escaped
using
> their Larnsti magic and hid in the frozen hall on Stormwalk
> Mountain. But how did the other Orlanthi heroes - Kallyr Starbrow,
> and others - make it out? What kind of amazingly cool and fun to
> game heroquests did the defenders of Whitewall conduct in order to
> pull this off?

I think the defenders suffered a massive bout of "There is always another way." Which is to say, they realized the the people were them, while the city was only important. They figured out a lot of new questing tricks, but realzied that what they gained was not going to be enough. However, using these new techniques, given time, maybe they could get "enough." (I'm guessing there was a Kev the Visionary devotee involved somewhere in here).

So their objective became to buy as much time as possible, to make the lunars pay as high a price as possible, but to get the key people out (and items) out.

Thing is, the imperial army didn't make that change of assumptions. Their focus was still on siezing/destroying the bastion. They thought that in doing so, they would win. So they focussed on keeping additional defenders out, weakening the defenses, and wearing down the defenders, while they prepared for their awesome assault. (Remember, this is Tatius the Bright. Fair to assume that while he may have approved many assault plans, he was building up to the grand finale the whole time).

That makes getting as dramatic as you need it to be. It could be some massively dangerous heroquest where they went physically into the hero plane and managed to come out elsewhere, if you want a grand finale that way. It could have been a spine-tingling subtle escape, using skill, magic, secret tunnels, bribery, misdirection, and all the old chestnuts to sneak everyone out right through the lunar camp. It could have been a massive piece of trickster magic, and many of them were still there alive, and managed to blend in with the assualting soldiers and leave with them, then walk away laughing. It could have been a carefully figured trickle, using each persons abilities inventively, with Helerings walking off on the clouds when they managed to bring a low cloud cover (and certain heroes flying with them), a few with Mastakos secret leaving that way, a few stealthy ones managing to sneak out, others leaving their own way, until it was only Broyan, his companions, and the last defenders-- those either dedicated to staying, or unable to leave because of various reasons (lack of method, geas, somehow too obvious, etc). Then Broyan and his companions leave in their own special way just at the end.

--Bryan