Re: Heortling Marriage, Courtship, Bridewealth

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_...>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 16:14:07 +1100

Bryan:

> In a society where so much of wealth is tied up in livestock, this is
> probably a useful tool to mix the blood of your herds as effectively
> as that of the humans.

I love this insight! Bring on the herds!

> What about Cottars? Granted, their weregild is lower, but I would
> think that most cottars would have almost no chance of raising the
> necessary amount. Sure, maybe they could borrow it from a sponsor
> (or patron, or other similar term), but really, would a well off carl
> loan cows to a cottar?

If, as David and Jeff have suggested, bridewealth is tied to in some ratio to weregild, costs will be correspondingly lower. The Ernaldan contests may also be simpler and less ornate. Bridewealth is a clan responsibility: the contribution any man makes to his own bridewealth will always be significant, but all his bloodline will pitch in, and perhaps the chief as well. I think the idea of taking gifts ('borrowing') from patrons/elders is the core of Heortliong economics, its how most things are done. And yes, there will be obligations, and the gift will have to be eventually gifted back in return.

The marriage "market" will have long adjusted to the realities, and unless there's a sudden shortage of young men or women, the prices will be long-established by tradition: difficult but possible.

 > Also, cottars marriages don't have anywhere near the same diplomatic
> impact that carl's bondings do. At a guess, most cottars marriages
> are much less formalised than those of carls... I would
> guess that the bride gifts and dowry, while still substantial to the
> cottars, would be much lower.

Yip, agree.

>There may or may not
> even be the same strict insistance on marrying outside of the clan
> (most cottars may very seldom get outside of clan lands).

Marrying beyond the clan is pretty basic to Heortling society, though with Lunar induced social chaos and intermarriage I'm sure *anything* is possible. Unless a clan has strong incest taboos, Couples from different bloodlines or even distant bloodline kin may well form life-partnerships, but this wouldn't be 'marriage' in the Heortling sense. It would have no clan component, there would be no bridewealth or dowry. The couple would simply 'live together' at one of their bloodline hearths (this needn't be particularly visible). The woman's children would be hers and her bloodline's. I don't think there would be any great social stigma attached, apart from the fact that Marriage is a Heortling ideal and brings with it a certain increase in status.

> IF (and I have no clue if this is the case) cottars are almost always
> associated with higher classed patrons, then there may be some
> gifting to your prospective brides patron too.

Her parents, brothers, bloodline elders. *Most* essential . :)

> Finally, what about thralls? Can they marry at all? If so, do they
> get any say in the matter?

Since marriage is about clan alliances and the identity of children as well as personal affection, I'd say no. Children of thralls are born free, and belong to the owners clan. Thralls have little or no property to gift. Their relationships among each other would be based on affection only, and would be purely informal.

John