Re: Re: The Magic of Others - learning Theist magic (Was Heortling Common Magic thread)

From: donald_at_...
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 21:35:37 GMT

In message <c25c5q+h6qf_at_...> "jeffrichard68" writes:

>Sure - and I would suspect that there is a much better chance that
>an Asrelia worshipper would be able to contact Asrelia than there is
>that a non-Asrelia worshipper would be able to get Divine Aid. I
>just don't see a good Gloranthan reason (as opposed to a game
>mechanics reason) for the limitation.

Emotional compatability of worshipper to the god. The whole idea of devotion to a particular god is to emulate the god - the way they think and act. IMG that's what enables them to contact their god better than an initiate or layman. It follows that it will be more difficult for them to contact another god than someone less attuned to any god. Otherwise you get absurdities like a Babeester Gori calling on Chalana Arroy for help (or visa versa). From a gaming point of view a random member of the clan will always be available to assist the players if needed - that's the minimum option, finding an initiate or devotee will to help is more common depending on the storyline.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/