Re: Re: Two swords

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2004 03:00:24 +0200 (EET)

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004, Jane Williams wrote:

> --- Mike Dawson <mdawson_at_...> wrote:
>
> >> Using two
> > > full swords, one in each hand, for anything but
> > > thrusting, is a good way to cut your own arm off.
> >
> > I don't think so.
>
> go ahead and try: if you can figure out how to do it
> effectively, I'd love to know. And no sarcasm
> intended.

Ok, I'll have a go.

I've fought against people using two swords. Admittedly only with wooden or padded weapons. In the hands of most people it's pretty useless (they use one at a time or forget the other sword compleatly), but a few combo-attack tricks can beat even competent opponents, at least if they are not known by the opponent. In the hands of somebody with excellent coordination and good skill, the combination is devastatingly effective.

As for some proof:

Here's a SCA person debating whether it's chivalric and "period" to fight with two swords. Note how he's not questioning it's effectiveness.

http://www.chronique.com/Library/Fighting/2sword.htm

Here's a link to some text on "Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu", the famous two-sword style of Miyamoto Musashi.

http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Pagoda/8187/Niten.htm

I remember some viking champion famous for fighting with two swords but can't seem to find a link for you.

***

Incidentally, for those wanting to learn something of real swordplay, here is a translatio of the texts of Fiore de' Liberi, an italian swordmaster in the fifteenth century:

http://www.varmouries.com/wildrose/fiore/fiore.html