Re: Re: Two swords

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2004 21:48:58 +0000 (GMT)

> > Keep in mind though that Darth Vader only had one
> arm...
>
> Yeah ... got the other one chopped off immediately
> after showing
> off his "two lightsabers" duelling technique.
>
> Hmmmmm .... ;-)

Quite. I've pulled out the DVD and rewatched that bit of film. Repeatedly, with heavy use of the pause button. Now, we *may* be being misled by the fact that Anakin apparently has no idea what to do with even one light-sabre, but...

He only ever attacks with one sword at a time. The other is held *behind* him, where he can't even use it for defence. In fact, he never uses anything for defence, hence the rapid loss of one weapon. All he does is launch huge, telegraphed attacks, which his opponent blocks or parries with contemptuous ease. Righ up to the point where he does the block against the weapon instead of the blade (nice counterattack! that sort of accuracy takes some doing) and things go back to sword v sword.

And this is where I start to wonder if Anakin's incompetence isn't misleading us, because while he improves a bit with only one sword to worry about, he's still crap. No defences. Just attacks. He doesn't even bother feinting. Sure, he's fast, but he's trying to use "lightsabre 13" (at best) with a +5 augment off "lightning reflexes", and it just doesn't cut it.

I did, however, enjoy the bit where his arm is taken off with my own personal favourite counterattack. Nice to see what it can do when you're not using blunted weapons and pulling your blows. Saruman - er, sorry, Dooku (stupid name or what?) does seem to know what he's doing with a broadsword. And yes, that's the technique he's using.

Jane Williams

Yahoo! Messenger - Communicate instantly..."Ping" your friends today! Download Messenger Now http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com/download/index.html