Re: Re: Laying the foreigner's ghost to rest

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 10:08:08 -0500

Ian Cooper wrote:

> Slightly OT, but Icelanid saga's have exorcism's handled as legal
> cases. The lawspeaker takes the ghost to court for 'squatting' and
> the ghosts upon presnetation of the proper case up and leave. This is
> one of the options for dealing with a haunting in KoDP and when I
> tried this choice the ghosts left. Forign ghosts may well present a
> special problem, becuase thy don't obey the law.

In Bloodletting and Peacemaking (by Ian Millar, I think) there's a lot of fascinating legal proceedures. The one you describe is mentioned in rather more detail than one might like!

Foreign ghosts do not understand our law -- Andrin and Jarani lawspeakers deal with clan and tribal law respectively. They must be dealt with by something more forceful - Cosmic Justice or someone with a good backhand. Humakt's finest Ghostbusters probably do a good bit of work afterwards with wandering dead Dara Happans looking for their mommies after an ambush...

Jeff