Re: "Magic Road" Travel?

From: bethexton_at_...
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 16:38:54 -0000

Well, there are always teh dragon newt "roads" that work like that, and which presumably heros periodically figure out how to hitch a ride inside.

> If I had to guess, I'd say that now it's done by enacting a myth
that tells of how some hero
> entered (for example) Horn Gate, travelled through Eiritha,
received a blessing a the Paps,
> overcame horrible magic at the Winter Ruins, slept with a Moon
Woman at Moonbroth, and
> finally reached his foe at Jaldon's Point.

I imagine some myths allow this, although I think the vast majority return you (near) where you started.

The fact that you can't repeat a quest in the same way a second time would help keep this from being abused. It would be the trick that you learn, and save for just the right occasion, instead of something you use to set up an express mail system ;-)

> (Not only is this the path my Heroes would need to take, but it
points out that on the old,
> less sneaky William Church Maps, all these sites line up as if laid
out with a ruler. On those
> maps you can also see that the Paps is a convergence point for
every important place in
> Prax.)

Heh, maybe old dragon newt roads, abandoned in the Darkness? (notice the genearal shortage of dragon-kin around Prax and the wastes, it would seem? Perhaps some of what made it a wasteland was actually a destruction of the local dragons too?). But they'd still link centres of power, that have maybe been taken over by others. Of course, someone may figure out a way to revive the old roads, although that might also draw the interest the dragon-kin....

Matakos' secret lets him return to his chosen temple (although has to wait for the next worship ceremony there). And he is the acknowledged holder of the motion rune. So I would think that no other method should exceed that in ease, accesability, and reliability. I think reasonably widely known quests work well though for dramatic, one time, travel. Dealing with dragon magic has its own perils and difficult learning curve. I could imagine certain holy routes that have associated rituals, giving a large bonus to quick and safe travel for those that know them.

--Bryan