Re: "Magic Road" Travel?

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 19:16:55 -0000

I'm personally a bit hazy on what is or isn't "Officially" a Short World, precisely how it relates/connects to the heroplane(s), the otherworld(s), etc. But it sounds to me like the right general food group at least.

In a sense, _all_ temples work like this -- they magically 'map' to the same 'place' on the God Plane, where everyone 'goes' when they do the worship rituals. But when this happens it effectively negates mundane perception, so you can't (normally) have a chat with someone who just popped in from Ralios (or indeed, choose to pop out there yourself). Sounds to me like you're envisaging something part-way between the two, so that's effectively how I'd treat it (he said, hand-wavingly).

At any rate, it makes perfect sense to me that there's some asymmetry to the available "entrances" and "exits". Establishing yourself at a given mythic point is one thing, identifying that with a mundane world point, different from the one you started at, is likely to be impossible, or at least very much more difficult, for anything other than the most well-established of Magic Roads.

C,
A.