Re: lunar heroquests

From: donald_at_...
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 23:38:54 GMT

In message <c323e4+ndbd_at_...> "Joshua Neff" writes:

>I'm still trying to wrap my head around heroquests. One thing that's
>getting me: it seems as if every example I read has the heroquest
>involving ancient heroes & gods--"Our ancestor, in the Dawn Age,
>fought the Jewelled Dragon of Five Dangers & saved our village." Now,
>the lunar religion isn't nearly that old, so I'm wondering about a
>hero in the 1620s doing a heroquest based on a Lunar hero or Lunar
>diety. Are all heroquests based on very old deeds, or are there more
>recent heroquests, & how do these figure with the Hero Plane and Gods
>War? For example, heroquests involving Yanafal Tarnils, Irippi Ontor,
>& Hwarin Dalthippa (all dieties that a figuring in my game in one way
>or another), or heroes of those dieties--how would those tie in to
>the Gods War?

Most of the Lunar Gods are borrowed from another culture and a lot of the myths relating to those gods carry over. So Yanafal Tarnils heros can take the part of Humakt in quests where he appeared. There should be some differences but they are generally minor. Also you are wrong about the Gods War being in the past, it's outside time so can and is changed by major HQ. The birth of the Red Goddess for one example.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/