Re: Re: lunar heroquests

From: Agent Groove <coridan_at_...>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 20:59:15 -0500

> So, the questions that can't really be answered for everyone, but is
interesting for
> groups to consider:
>
> Is the Lunar way actually ancient, and simply forgotten for a while?
>
> Or have the Lunars simply bogarded their way into other religions and laid
claim to
> ancient ways they never had?
>
> And if its the first, then following cycles, the Red Goddess must wane
again at some
> point...what does that mean to you?
>
> If its the second, then are the Lunars effectively "colonizing" the Hero
Plane, and if so,
> what does that mean for the stability of the universe?
>
> Fun stuff, and perfect for players to find out, answer, or change on their
very own
> Heroquests.
>
> Chris

While Greg did say to me that he 'wasn't interested in other people's Gloranthas' when I met him at Gencon '99, I am interested in making my own MGF Glorantha. This means exploring some alternatives to canon. This, I feel, is in the spirit of what Greg intends for *playing* Glorantha.

I've always thought that Argrath and the other rebel leaders were smart types - dynamic, innovative, not conservative Orlanthi at all. While true to their old lore. they seem to me to be willing to use any weapon, short of Chaos (and perhaps Sorcery) to free Sartar and break the power of the Red Moon.

Is there any record in the canon of Argrath or other conspirators HeroQuesting against the Red Goddess, or other enemy gods? Likely targets would perhaps be the Tarsh Earth Goddess, forcing their myths to reject Hon-Eels HQ that 'proved' the Red Goddess was Ernalda. "I am I, and you are of Chaos, the Solar invader to the North!" Even if Tarsh heroquesters were to reset the Myth, that would tie up resources and interfere with magic, and as such would be another front in the war. Certainly, the Tarsh Wintertop exiles could be seen conducting HeroQuest guerilla warfare against the state Tarsh Earth Cult, as well as encouraging Orlanth worship amongst subjugated Tarsh hill tribes.

While the Sartar Rebels don't have the worshipper support that the Lunars do, it seems that Sartar and environs breed individually powerful heros. What must confound the Lunars is the individual prowess of certain Orlanthi heroes - while many powerful leaders and magicians fold when deprived of their community support, this just inspires Orlanthi to dig in their heels and rebuild, defying *everything* that the Lunar way preaches about communities and togetherness. The individual against a corrupt world is characteristically Orlanthi. Not to say that Heortlings don't love and rely on their communities, nor reply on then, but individual prowess seems to me to be a distinctly Heortling/Sartarite trait.

Of course, I'd love to play a Lightbringer missionary, a secret agent of Agrath's, spreading Orlanth worship amongst subjugated Pelandans. "You don't have to abandon your old Gods! The people to the south threw off the chains of Idovanus, while protecting and revering their old gods! You can too!" Pelandans worshiping the Storm Tribe and throwing off Lunar-backed Carmanians with would make some people in Glamour panic. Certainly not canon, but hey!

Enough of my ramblings.

ORLANTH LIVES!

--
Chris Bell