Re: The Windstop in Prax & Wastes

From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_...>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 12:10:19 -0800 (PST)

Mike Dawson, who probably has forotten more about Prax than I will ever know asks:

> 1) When the Orlanth Winds stop, nothing
> constrains the Storm Bull Wind, which in my
> game immediately got huge, raged
> west-noth-west toward Pavis, and was
> turned away by Lunar Magic.

I don't think that the Orlanth Winds are a significant constraint on the Storm Bull Winds. They blow west sometimes -- this is a drought year in Prax. Mythically, Orlanth in Prax is the Little Brother, the Rain Man, and a bit of a wussy. Storm Bull is bull-headed, powerful, bull-headed, strong, and bull-headed.

I also think the effect is less immediate, though your description is great drama. The Bull was already blowing whatever direction for that year, and He doesn't change His mind very easily. The next year, though, I think he blows very strongly to the west and keeps doing so through 1625. This makes 1622-25 a long drought in Prax. The center of the storm may even shift (which would put it right back over the swamp). The Bullmen in the Wastes take the hint and go to Prax, so 1622-25 sees a lot of berserkers at holy places. However, the severe snow in Dragon Pass and maybe Dagori Inkarth creates a lot of run off in Prax during the following spring.

> 2) When Spirit Air disappears, then Thunder Bird
> must be gone. So Raven is screwed,
> because nothing can offset Sun Hawk!

This is consistent with an extended drought in Prax.

> I'm still trying to figure out what the major
> figures at the Paps think of the Wind Stop.

I think the Tribal Khans clear out immediately. Putting that together with other signs and proohecies and they know sometihng big is brewing. They go to rally the tribes. The Sable Khan is in a bit of a bind. Maybe he plays both sides by launching some minor raids on Sartar. "Well, moon-boy, we're Praxians. That's what we do."

The Paps priestesses and the High Khan might view Wind Stop as a death in the family. We was Waha's uncle. Someone might start ceremonies that they later claim were responsible for his return (and maybe even helped a little).

> And peculiarly for my game, I need to think about
> how it affects the Winter Palace, as the
> Heroes may travel there on their way to ambushing
> other Jaldonites at Jaldon's Point.

Jaldon is your friend. I would think Winter Palace would be especially cold. Perhaps the separation between the Hero Plane and the natural world thins enough that you can see what it was back before time. I see a big palace made of ice, like the Arctic structure in that Superman movie.

> Seems like the wind stop would be a good time to be
> a Gagarthi!

Or an Impala or a Lunar.

Chris Lemens

Yahoo! Mail - More reliable, more storage, less spam http://mail.yahoo.com