Re: Re: Heortlings and inheritance + (Worship)

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 21:56:33 +0000

On Thu, 04 Jan 2001 10:40:27 +1300, Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...> wrote:

>>WC>And will TR clear up just what a Ghost is? Can you get ghosts of
>> >theists? If not, what are they? And who can exorcise them?
>
>>IMO a ghost is the magical essence of a person somehow trapped on the
>>mundane plane.
>
>What's wrong with:
>
> Ghosts are malign spirits of the unhallowed or unhappy dead,
> doomed to haunt a specific place or object. Most things that
> die do not become ghosts, only those trapped in the spirit
> world.
> AR p231.

Nothing, but it doesn't explain
a) how a theist 'spirit' (or whatever) GOT to the spirit plane (assuming you believe there can be ghosts of theists), nor b) whether said theist's ghost has any theistic powers (in other words, can a ghost still worship a god? Does death defeat belief?). Note that, although I agree peacefully dead theists do not become ghosts, there could be reasons why a theist might stay a ghost - to take one example from our campaign, to atone for past crimes (while a thanatari mad head ghost).
c) whether there is any need for different techniques to be used to combat them

and lastly,

d) if there are NO ghosts of theists, is there a theistic equivalent?

Wulf