Re: Dream walking?

From: bethexton_at_...
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 22:08:00 -0000

How about "There is no accounting for love?" And by this I mean not just of Unn for Viggo, but also of Valmar for Viggo and Valmar for Unn. So no matter what instigated the marriage, Unn loves Vigo, but he is pulled by his god. Everyone says "he's lost to you, get a divorce." But she doesn't want to...there is still something that she loves in the little of him that she sees. At the same time Valmar is an incredibly loyal brother, and knows that having to lose his wife and kid for his god would be crushing for him, and he wants to see big brother be a hero. So he steps in, and makes it so that she doesn't have to divorce just to survive.

Now, exactly what each of Viggo and Valmar's feelings towards Unn are could be open to exploration, but an Elmali loyally stepping in to protect an Ernaldan, so that an Orlanthi has to do what he has to do? It all makes sense to me.

The only thing is the _why_ she wants to stay married. And I don't think you have to pin it down right now--especially if Unn is still around as a supporting character. Finding out at some future point could be very dramatic or moving. After all, lots of kids wonder why their parents have stayed together....

--Bryan