Re: Dear Tribe

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 23:19:12 -0000

Funny you should mention the Culbrea... My first HW (as far) game was a Culbrea one, spec. the Elkenval clan, and our "generic black oaks" were... the Black Oak clan of the Kheldon. See http://home.swipnet.se/~w-59453/kings.html, and Patrik and others' articles in an early YBoT. This isn't of course Canon, and doesn't feature the other names you quote.

As others have said, this is very much in the realm of, Your Glorantha Has Probably Already Varied, Even If You Didn't Notice At The Time. (Now there's a snappy acrostic.) Jeff's adventure is I think designed to be map as generically as possible to any given gloro-political situation.

On a more general note, if you want a "regular mutual raiding" sort of enemy clan, I think it's better to have them be in a _different_ tribe. The tribal founding ritual is supposed (ahem) to ensure that relations within a tribe don't descend into open violence (... too often). Instead we just get all passive-aggressive with other, politically plot, and if it comes down to it get someone _else_ to attack 'em. (This may be variable depending how weak your king is, how generally dysfunctional the tribe, etc.)

C,
A.