Re: Re: Dream walking?

From: Stephen Rennell <steve_at_...>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 07:06:30 +0000

On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 03:27, donald_at_... wrote:
> How have young adults living at home managed to have affairs without
> upsetting their parents for centuries?

Well, living in the same room as your parents can make things a little more difficult to sneak out for trysts... The Thing about Heorltling society that I find interesting is that if you have a bad dream, everyone in your stead knows; If you fart loudly in bed, everyone knows; if you and your marriage partner haven't had sex in a month, everyone knows... There is no privacy.

> It's even easier in a rural community than an urban one because there
> are loads of good reasons to be off on your own. The fact that Kandreya
> always takes Olaf his midday meal when he's looking after the cattle
> is gossip but not an issue.

I guess my question becomes: Do the Heortlings have a taboo against sex with people from your clan/bloodline, or only against marrying them? I had assumed that the "Only take a marriage partner from outside the clan" was for incest-taboo reasons, but I guess economics might be enough - although I'm not convinced.

And if they're _not_ bonking people from their own clan, who do they have affairs with?

Stephen

--
Stephen Rennell		steve_at_...
Wellington, New Zealand