Re: Re: Dream walking?

From: Stephen Tempest <e-g_at_...>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 22:06:56 +0000

Jennifer Geard <geard_at_...> writes:

>As for the Wind Lord's wife and the Elmali brother... we'll see. When I
>described them as being "the functional equivalent of the married
>couple" I meant that they share the same division of labour,
>consultation and decision-making that is common to Heortling married
>couples. Whether they share a blanket would likely depend on whether
>Unn still braids her hair. I'm inclined to think that prudence argues
>against adultery for a woman living in her husband's stead, and that
>this is a stead with a lot of energies to sublimate.

It seems to me that the Elmali is acting in the role of Ernalda's Husband-Protector while Orlanth is away questing.

"They take Orlanth's place when he cannot protect her, defending and serving the Earth that gives them life." (ST p 182)

Since Elmal is taking Orlanth's place, I'd argue that in both mythic and legal terms no adultery is being committed. This is pragmatic - enforced celibacy isn't really a Heortling virtue. It also tests the Elmali's loyalty, since while on the one hand he gets free nookie, on the other if the Ernaldan should become pregnant the child would still be counted as her husband's - not his.

However, this can't just be a casual arrangement, otherwise everybody would do it and it would make a mockery of Heortling marriage laws. The Wind Lord would have to perform a ritual (or even a minor HeroQuest) similar to the "Arming of Orlanth", where he commends his stead, his possessions, his followers, and his wife and family to Elmal's protection and guard. Until he returns, then he is effectively dead (just as Orlanth was during the Lightbringers' Quest) and the Elmali takes his place for all clan and bloodline functions.

Basically, when you're dealing with somebody as close to the Gods as a Disciple is, then *everything* har mythic significance...

Stephen