Re: Re: Dream walking?

From: donald_at_...
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 23:45:19 GMT

In message <20040321215830.93715.qmail_at_...> =?iso-8859-1?q?Jane=20Williams?= writes:
> --- Jeff <jakyer_at_...> wrote:

>> Moots. Visits to the farming folks next door. Its common for
>> one to exchange labour as well as meet at the monthly moots.
>> I suspect there's more too-ing-and-fro-ing between steads and
>> clans than might be apparent.
>
>Which gets us onto the social life of the average
>Orlanthi, a subject well worth visiting in itself.
>
>The impression I'd always had was that other clans are
>seen as foreigners, and that contact between them was
>deliberately restricted to clan leaders and formal
>occasions. That, in fact, this was a large part of
>what clan leaders are *for*.

I think this depends on the relationship between the clans, which may explain traditions about taking a wife from a particular clan. Certainly your aunt's brother is going to be a foreigner to only a very limited extent.

Formal contact is probably restricted to clan leaders but everyone who can find an excuse will come along to meetings with friendly clans. Then there are market days and festivals which provide an excuse for a party. That's before you consider visits arranged by matchmakers.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/