Re: How wide and deep?

From: donald_at_...
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 18:38:41 GMT

>"The" River (Engizi) is obviously big, it is the outflow of the
>massive SkyFall. But what about the Creek and the Stream. Are they
>as puny as their size would suggest? Or are they more abundant?
>What about the smaller, often un-named rivers shown on the maps?
>Obviously it will vary by river, but I guess the question is "To show
>up on teh DP:LOT map, how substantial does a river have to be? (Yah,
>this might have been a good question to have asked before
>contributing to the gazeteer on a couple of said flows of water....)
>
>Anyone have any thoughts?

It's less a matter of how big the river is than how deep it is and how swift and turbulent the current is. There are some quite big rivers which are fordable right near the estury at low tide. There's also the question of fordable by what, today fords are based on the depth which can be forded by a modern car which only a foot or two whereas in ancient times a three foot deep ford was usable by someone walking four if riding a horse.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/